Mindtrek at Tampere on 15.11.2022 connected over 100 professionals, around tracks of Future of Open Source Business and Smart Villages.
The Future of Open Source Business -track evidenced growing maturity at European organizations in understanding and leveraging open source in their businesses.
Some highlights of the event
- European Commission representatives, Gijs Hillenius and Miguel Diez explained how the Commission’s Open Source Strategy has been implemented, including established and living practices for git-usage, code contributions to upstream projects, bug bounties, code publications. The Commission is further pursuing to transform and innovate in the Commission’s and European activities with the help of open source.
- Eclipse Foundation’s Gaël Blondelle showed how the global reach of open source enables free flow of technology, improving countless lives. Also Blondelle emphasized that the foundation has relocated to Europe, Brussels, in order to better serve technology development based on European values. He also made a strong case that today open source drives innovation, while it some time ago was more a commoditization strategy.
- Ville Sirviö from the Nordic Institute of Interoperability Solutions (NIIS) told us how x-road is being used in practice globally, and with Columbia with 50 million inhabitants as the largest ecosystem, where x-road is being used. Also he explained that the data collected from the ecosystems is being used to drive innovation, another testament into how a solutions scaled with open source can drive innovation.
- Martin von Willebrand from HH Partners presented an open source maturity and strategy model, originating from Sony Mobile, to help organizations understand their current maturity and potential for further improvement. At the highest maturity levels open source not only drives innovation, but actually helps in transforming the ecosystem to next value levels. However, typically lower levels of maturity must be first cleared before an organization can progress into the more value creating levels. He also discussed the competences needed for different maturity levels and the strategic advantages of those competences to the organizations. The maturity model raised a lot of positive discussion, so it is worth checking out.
- Mikko Murto from Double Open presented how Double Open leverages open source tooling to help customers set up continuous compliance. Check instructions at doubleopen.org.
See you at Mindtrek in 2023!